Gurdwara Tatt Khalsa Diwan is a Sikh Temple close to Chow Kit Wet Market and Kampung Baru. It is the largest Sikh temple in South East Asia and the spiritual house for 75,000 Sikhs in Kuala Lumpur.
Standing majestically at the border of Chow Kit market in Kampong Bharu, the gurdwara is an indication for both the local and foreign Sikh communities. Foreign workers who work in the business area comprise 30% of the congregation. They come voluntarily and to find comfort in the company of their brothers.
The roots of gurdwara can be traced back to the year 1819, to the original site where the Kuala Lumpur General Hospital now stands.
In 1922, the British government officially allocated the lot for the Sikh community in Jalan Raja Alang.
Construction of the two-buildings temple, standing on 1.5 acres of land in the heart of the major commercial area, was funded entirely by members of the gurdwara.
A religious school that has about 500 students and 20 teachers in 1970 but was forced to close for lack of students. The movement of city traffic, causing the 5 minutes journey to become two hours of crawling, has made it impossible for students to reach school on time.